About Digital Asset
Digital Asset is among the fastest growing, most recognized fin-tech startups globally and is the market leader in developing distributed ledger technology applied to the market infrastructure and financial services sector. Backed by leading financial institutions, infrastructure providers and financial software providers, the company is delivering enterprise-grade solutions for post-trade services.
Digital Asset applies a rigorous customer-driven approach to deliver on our vision for a better global financial system, enabled by distributed ledger technology.
- Our culture is "all-in" and rewards collaboration, integrity and excellence.
- We value each other, what we do for our clients and how we do it.
- Our mission is delivering breakthrough distributed ledger solutions.
As we grow our team, we will maintain the dynamic, collaborative and pragmatic way of working that has grounded our efforts from the beginning. If you seek to develop solutions others are yet to contemplate and are driven by the opportunity to have impact, the following opportunity may be right for you.
Work as part of our globally distributed engineering team with Product and Business Development teams to define, develop, and deliver scalable, available and performant software product increments. Become an essential member of this disciplined, cross-functional engineering group, coordinating and consulting on performance work across three continents. Focusing on Digital Asset’s products, you will identify weak points and hot spots, taking into account how the products are used. You will find their scaling limits, making sure they interoperate with other products and systems in a performant way, and owning how performance is measured and monitored at every level. Help us find where our software hits the next wall and lead us to break through them.
What we are using:
- Java, Scala, and Haskell for backend development of new technology concepts
- Typescript for front-end development
- Python for glue and prototyping
- Agile/Scrum and modern software engineering practices (TDD / CI / CD etc)
- Cloud services, containers for rapid deployment
- Performant software is the whole team’s responsibility. Your job is to advise, measure and guide the efforts of your team members in designing, implementing and optimizing for performance.
- Develop and manage performance work backlogs, building test plans and identifying priorities.
- Incorporate both high-level architectural knowledge of performance factors and low-level machine hardware tuning skills to respond creatively to each challenge.
- Share lessons and experience from your projects with your colleagues to help us build performance discipline into our engineering culture.
- Be a developer. You’ll need to wrangle our APIs, think about execution paths, memory consumption, “big O”.
- Help to diagnose causes of performance degradations as part of a team. Be able to identify when we are CPU bound, memory bound, I/O bound or network bound in a complex distributed system.
- Ideally, 10+ years experience as a software engineer, working in a globally distributed development environment.
- Proven history of delivering high-quality, increasingly complex, commercial software products to a global market.
- Minimum of 5 years software development experience delivering mission-critical technology to the enterprise software market using Agile methodologies.
- Strong command of distributed systems development.
- Deep understanding of secure coding practices.
- Experience with recovery-oriented computing techniques to develop systems that detect and gracefully recover from system failure.
- Advanced understanding of high-performance and high-availability coding techniques.
- Experience developing software targeting Linux and Windows environments, including an adept ability to incorporate open source software as appropriate.
- Polyglot with a strong command of at least 3 functional and/or non-functional programming languages, including but not limited to, Java, Scala, F#, OCaml, Clojure and Haskell.
- Continuous learning mindset and learning of new programming language paradigms
- Strong programming fundamentals (data structures and algorithm design)
- Strong engineering fundamentals (testing, code reviews, code structure, readable and maintainable code)
- Preferred Domain Knowledge:
- Distributed systems: how to measure and optimize performance across a distributed system.
- Mission-critical usage: JVM tuning (GC, memory pressure), database optimization (RDBMS, NoSQL, Graph), distributed, highly available systems, high throughput systems, cloud infrastructure and virtualization layers.
- Familiarity with the tracing tools such as dapper, zipkin or similar; with monitoring systems such as New Relic, DataDog or similar and with load generating tools such as JMeter, gatling etc.
- Balance day-to-day work embedded in an engineering team shipping production code with the strategic vision driven by the Enterprise Engineering group, through advocacy, professionalism, and results.
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership. Digital Asset’s software runs operations for major financial markets worldwide. It must scale. You are leading that effort.
- Deep understanding of our products.You'll be the expert on the enterprise capability of our platforms. You’ll be able to talk about our products at a business level too. What problems do they solve?
- Develop test plans with a detailed awareness of our priorities, both as a business and at the individual product level.
- Strong influencing ability. Your group is responsible for creating an environment in which software performance and scalability are integral to the development process, so you have to think about how to get your software engineer colleagues on board.
- Advocate for your group. Engineering Productivity is a small group of specialists shared by the entire organization. Teams will compete for your assistance. Your advocacy, professionalism, and results will make that happen. Be worth it.
- “All-in” mentality. Fix broken systems, take the load off others when they need help, and strive towards the best solutions.
- Ability to weigh cost/benefit trade-offs and articulate the risk and reward to help Engineering discover the right balance.
- Strong commercial orientation with a deep passion for customer-driven design and development throughout the SDLC.
- Collaborative approach that factors and embraces and insists upon diverse perspectives as a strategic imperative.
- Open, strong communicator who communicates effectively across groups, locations and cultures, in-person and virtually.
- A natural leader who builds productive and effective relationships across the organization.
- Continuous growth mindset with strong disposition toward innovation and entrepreneural ways of working.
- Courage of convictions with a high degree of humility. Embraces constructive feedback and is resilient.
- BS, MS or PhD in computer science, or related discipline.
Connect With Us
This is a rare opportunity to help define an industry and join a powerful team of financial services and technology innovators from cross sector startups and enterprise.
Digital Asset is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable law. Applicants with disabilities who require accommodation should contact HR@digitalasset.com.